Disruptive leaders dare to be different. Once we start thinking differently, we can take different approaches and deliver far different (better) results. That is being a disruption.
This is a very simple thought but one that I find usually keeps people from making their breakthrough. They are too complacent and determined to create the products and services that our customers want and need. Wanting to be included and accepted if often preventing us from doing seemingly impossible things.
Here are 5 compelling quotes to dare to be different by thinking bigger and reach higher.
- “Strategy is about making choices, trade-offs; it’s about deliberately choosing to be different.” Michael Porter. Notice being different is a deliberate choice.
- “In advertising, not to be different is virtual suicide.” Thornton Wilder. The consequences of not being different are powerful.
- “A disruptive innovation is a technologically simple innovation in the form of a product, service, or business model that takes root in a tier of the market that is unattractive to the established leaders in an industry.” Clayton M. Christensen. Notice that disruption doesn’t start within current industry leaders. Normally innovation has to come from outside because the organization has difficulty seeing anything different.
- “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” Coco Chanel. The last thing we want is to be replaceable. It makes us invisible in the marketplace.
- “The first step of disruptive innovation is disagreement, not believing we should or need to be content with what already exists. The masses will be content but the disruptive leader challenges that complacency, daring to brave the disagreement in search of a much better way.” Loren Murfield, Ph.D. To disagree means we have to make a decision to stand up and stand out.
Which quote do you like the best?
Which one provokes you to do something so differently today that you can create your disruption?
Loren Murfield, Ph.D.
I work with aspiring and emerging leaders to disrupt their team, their leadership, and their marketplace. Contact me to begin making your breakthrough.
Yes, you can become a disruptive leader. Take the course and prove them wrong.
(c) Murfield International, Inc.